Sunday, April 15, 2007

Starboard side daggerboard case lamination

I finally got to the lamination of the starboard side daggerboard case yesterday.

So much of this work is in the preparation. There are many pieces of cut cloth to have on hand for this part. This was my first use of the A spec. cloth for the outer hull. As I have decided to use two layers of the aircraft weave style 7781, at 8.9 ounce weight, there are twice the number of pieces I must cut to size.

You can see above that I made a final check and labeled which side is what. I wanted to make sure in the lay up process I got the unidirectional tape in the right spot.

It actually took me over 2 hours to get to this point, where the part is under vacuum . I'm glad I'm using the 2 hour slow hardener for the Aeropoxy resin.

Uncovered with the film, breather release film pulled off. It's the first time I've used this black peel ply.

The part looks to have turned out OK. I'm cutting it to rough size with a knife (while still green) to help get it off the mold, then I'll be giving it some heat treatment today.

I will add a picture when it is off.

No comments: