Sunday, May 27, 2007

Laminating 3rd float half


A rare picture of me on this blog hard at work spreading epoxy resin.

I did this float lamination a little different this time and I am very happy with the result.

Previously I have laid out the glass cloth 'dry' over the float length. Wetting out the 6781 s-glass cloth however has given me troubles with adhesion and air bubbles on the foam surface. I think the tightness of the 8HS weave has inhibited penetration of the epoxy sufficiently to wet the foam surface sufficiently for proper adhesion.

This time I used a wet technique and spread out a thin layer of resin on the foam before applying 38" wide strips of fiberglass across the float. Much better result with less work and frustration. The wet resin holds the cloth down and it wets out so much easier and the removal of air bubbles quite painless.

No comments: