Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Finishing primer on the starboard float hull

The skim coats of epoxy seemed to work really well at providing a very fair smooth surface after sanding.  Fair enough, and I decided to hang the hull once again and apply the finishing primer to the whole hull (excluding of course the bottom paint which I masked off).  I applied the two coats of  Endura EP-FD primer with the foam roller and found that with the doors open I was able to get by with the half face respirator.  I think flowing on the paint is far less dangerous than atomizing it with a spray gun.  Quality wise I think rolling on the paint when the hull is hung like this is not optimal, I do have some paint runs here and there.  However since I will be sanding this primer down to 320 grit, I thought that getting it all painted was more important.  However, when I get to the topside paint I think I will be painting the hull in sections (roll and tip) , ie on one side, the other side and then the deck.   If anyone is interested I found a very good tutorial (for Sterling paint) here.
Below are a few pics of the now white primer coloured float hull.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are very correct about the reduced hazard by rolling vs spraying. Isocyanates are heavier than air and the "ONLY" way that they can become airborne are if you apray them there. Like any solvent based paint, there are some nasty solvents, but they can be absorbed by fresh charcoal filters. Endura can be polished while it is very "green" or not much more than a day old. Once it cures too hard, it cannot be repaired as well.

Phil "at" kiteair.com
Sherwood Park, AB

GK said...

Thanks for the advice Phil, I'm just wondering how you would polish at one day, wet sanding? or a polishing compound?
Grant