Sunday, August 24, 2008

Visit with Jim, Carlene and Doug MacKenzie

A long overdue 2 1/2 hour drive to London, Ontario to visit with Jim, Carlene and Doug finally happened this past weekend. They have been making good progress and as I am finally planning my own main hull build I wanted to see a F22 main hull in person.

We helped Jim move a float from storage into the garage for, I suspect, some work on putting in the access and storage hatch features.

They have room to swing the main hull into any position in their very roomy build shed. Jim shows how easy it is to push the hull around. Height is no issue for this team. My first impression is that the F22 main hull has a great deal of beam that pictures published around the internet do not really indicate. Obviously, I like what I see.

Here is a picture taken from the stern into the main hatch companionway. You can clearly see how the newer beam designs has opened up the forward v berth area. They have opted for the centre board version which opens up the living area even more. The MacKenzie's have a great deal of experience cruising on their trailer tri and this experience is stimulating discussions about how best to utilize this space. It will be interesting to see their finished layout.

How can this space below the cockpit floor (no aft cabin) be best used? For example, I had not thought about where the outboard gas tank will be stored? In fact, talking to Jim and Doug has made me realize I will have lots to think about.



Doug and Jim showed me how the cockpit panels fit up. I joked that a F22 kit would go together very fast. After a quick lunch and a cold beer with Carlene it was off for a sail on Lake Fanshaw.

So .... I finally have had a chance to helm a Farrier trimaran. She handles wonderfully with the shifty breeze this sunny day.

My son Cameron discovers a comfortable place on the wingnet.

No comments: