Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rudder sleeve assembly completed (more or less)

First, I cut the sleeve to accept the shaft to connect to the rudder mount.  Not having the S.S. shaft yet I used a wood dowel to verify the fit.   The big question here was how far to cut into the sleeve.  The deeper you cut into the sleeve the wider the angle the sleeve can rotate before there is a hard stop to the gudgeon.  The picture below shows the angle I can achieve.  It is not a full 90 degrees,  but it's getting close.  My understanding is that the tiller will hard stop in the cockpit before this angle is achieved.  

I also finished the  tiller stub, which went together fairly straight forward, and glued on the sleeve.   Straight enough I hope.


Here is my access hole, through the tiller stub, to get the shaft in and out.  

The tiller stub is my first carbon tube, and I am thinking about molding the tiller itself with carbon when I have the hull and traveller completed.  You can also see that I sealed the exposed foam at the end of the tube with a piece of carbon cloth.

Here is the complete steering system for an F22.  The sleeve and rudder combined weigh about 7 lbs.  Not all that much when you think about it, but isn't it funny that we go to all this trouble to reduce weight and then stick a heavy outboard at the end of the boat.   Anyway, you can also see that I have not yet finished the plastic end strip yet.  I'm think about using the option for 3/8" nylon hardware to keep the plastic strip in place.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Grant,

Forget 90 degree rudder movement, you dont need or use 45 degrees. Your work looks great, they are an amazing boat and well worth the effort

regards

Lloyd Crisp
Stick Shift #73

GK said...

Thanks for the kind words Loyd. I've been reading with great joy the success you have been having in the recent races. Well done.
Grant