Sunday, February 10, 2008

Painting the inner side of the daggerboard case

Once the daggerboard case is joined I will not have any chance to repair or re coat, so I have decided to err on the side of caution and have given the inner surfaces a few coats of the InterProtect waterproofing primer. I am not sure if this is necessary as epoxy resin is itself quite waterproof.
Here I am brushing the second coat on. This primer is full of nasties and really does require the use of a proper organic vapour mask. Not only that, I had to open the basement windows wide for ventilation and send the family and dogs out to visit with the mother in law.

Here they are after the first coat of the graphite epoxy mixture. I used ~ 25% graphite and 5% cabosil by volume to the Mas epoxy. A foam roller seemed to work just fine for application. Right now I'm thinking of 3 coats. I'm curious to see how durable this finish is. I have never used this technique before.

No comments: